NEW YORK - A US prosecutor said Thursday that two government psychiatrists had concluded that Aafia Siddiqui, a Pakistani neuroscientist charged with trying to kill American soldiers and F.B.I. agents in Afghanistan, had been faking her symptoms of mental illness. An earlier court-ordered psychological evaluation had concluded that Ms. Siddiqui, 37, was unfit for trial as a result of a mental disease, "which renders her unable to understand the nature and consequences of the proceedings against her or to assist properly in her defence," a court document shows. Then last month, prosecutors said two new evaluations by government-retained psychiatrists had found differently, that she was not suffering from mental illness. But the prosecutors had not previously said the doctors concluded she was faking. On Thursday, an assistant United States attorney, David Raskin, told a judge in Federal District Court that the psychiatrists, each working independently and unaware of the other's findings, concluded that the symptoms that had been seen "were attributed to malingering," according to a media report. "It was manipulation by the defendant," Raskin told Judge Richard Berman, "as opposed to any signs of serious mental illness." Her new lawyer, Dawn Cardi, said her client was not malingering. Ms. Siddiqui, who studied at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Brandeis University, is currently being held at the Federal Medical Center Carswell in Fort Worth Texas. Her defence attorneys have said that Ms. Siddiqui, who was shot was tortured. The US government claims Ms. Siddiqui had al-Qaeda links and that if she went missing between 2003 and this year, that's simply because she was in hiding. Human right activists say Ms. Siddiqui was abducted in Karachi in 2003 along with her three young children and held secretly, probably at a US military base in Afghanistan. She has been held since last summer when she was first brought to New York for prosecution from Afghanistan. She had been taken into custody after being reportedly found loitering outside an Afghan police station with suspicious items in her handbag. Prosecutors have said that while she was detained, she picked up an unsecured rifle and fired at least two shots toward a soldier who was part of an American team of F.B.I. agents and military personnel who were about to question her. No one was hit. Ms. Siddiqui has pleaded not guilty. Her lawyer, Ms. Cardi, said in court that she intended to retain her own experts to review the new evaluations and to examine her client. Ms. Cardi said after the hearing: "We assert that she's not malingering." Judge Berman said he would hold a hearing on June 1 to determine Ms. Siddiqui's competency. He set a tentative trial date of July 6, in the event she was found fit for trial.