KARACHI  - Sindh Chief Secretary Sajjad Salim Hotiana has directed zoo administration to prepare a nutrition plan for animals and spend more funds on their diet and healthcare by curtailing the other miscellaneous expenditures.

He expressed these views during his visit at Karachi Zoological Park on Wednesday. Commissioner Karachi Shoaib Ahmed Siddiqui, KMC Administrator Rauf Akhtar Farooqui, Director Zoo Fahim Khan and other officers were also present.

The secretary said the up-gradation of Karachi Zoo into an internationally recognised zoo would provide better knowledge of wildlife to common people and good recreational facilities to visitors. The chief secretary during his visit inspected different parts of zoo including the store of animals feed. He also directed to bring more animals and birds to the zoo facility so that it could be made more attractive for people.

Hotiana also feed some animals and also traveled in the recreation train inside zoo. While checking the cages and enclosures of animals, he enquired about their condition and instructed zoo authority to keep an eye on their health status and maintain the death register for animals expired in zoo.

The chief secretary said zoo facility was considered the most important recreational center anywhere in the world and therefore such places must get more attention.

Karachi Administrator Rauf Akhtar Farooqui while giving a briefing to the Chief Secretary regarding Karachi Zoo, said KMC was working on various plans to improve the facilities at Karachi Zoo, Safari Park and other recreation places in the city. The induction of five big animals including elephant, rhino, Lion, Giraffe and hippopotamus would help acknowledge Karachi Zoo on international level.

The administrator said KMC was spending a huge amount on the food and medicines of animals and other maintenance works in Karachi Zoo. Karachi Zoo spreads on 33 acres land out of which 40 percent area was allocated for captives where about 970 different animals, birds and reptiles were kept in 117 cages and enclosures whereas the remaining 60 percent area of zoo was used for amusement park, central lake, gardens, canteen and other recreation facilities. He said about 30 Lac people annually visit Karachi zoo.