LAHORE - Rescuers yesterday discovered the body of a young man, two days after he jumped into the River Ravi to flee police torture.

Rescue workers said they discovered the body from the river during a search operation yesterday morning. Later, the body was moved to the morgue for autopsy.

The robbery suspect named by police as Muhammad Ishaq Butt jumped into Ravi River from a moving van to skip brutal police interrogation on Tuesday. The suspect was being shifted to a private torture cell by the Shafiqabad police when he attempted suicide.

As the police van reached the river bridge, the robbery suspect suddenly jumped into the river. According to the police, the traffic was moving very slow when the accused managed to escape. The police had launched a hunt right after the suspect managed to flee; however, the policemen failed to arrest the suspect till late Tuesday night.

Earlier, a city police spokesman said total four suspects tried to escape from the police custody, adding that three of them - Nabeel, Adnan, and Ramazan - were arrested later but Ishaq disappeared after he jumped into the river.

Police often torture crime suspects by using third degree methods during interrogation. Several crime suspects committed suicides or they succumbed to torture during investigations in the provincial metropolis in recent years.

TORTURE: A 45-year-old crime suspect died in the custody of Green Town police late Wednesday night. The body was moved to the morgue for an autopsy.

The resident of Bismillah Colony, Akbar, was picked up by the Green Town police allegedly for selling drugs in the area. According to his family, Akbar was brutally tortured by policemen during interrogation.

The family members say that when the condition of Akbar got deteriorated, the policemen threw his body out his house and fled away instantly. The man was rushed to a hospital where he expired later.

A police official yesterday said that investigations were underway to ascertain the cause of death. The body was handed over to the family after the autopsy.