MUMBAI (Agencies) - Terror struck India's financial capital late on Wednesday night as coordinated serial explosions and indiscriminate firing rocked eight places across Mumbai including the crowded Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) railway station, two five-star hotels - Oberoi and Taj, leaving at least 83 people dead and around 900 injured, officials said, according to Indian media. Following coordinated blasts and shooting, the Indian Army and police commandos launched security operation in Mumbai. Two five-star hotels were under siege and gunmen held 40 occupants, including foreigners, hostage. Fresh blasts were reported at the Taj. Pakistani cricketers, including Kamran Akmal, were among the hostages but they were reported to be safe. Indian security officials claimed that almost 50 terrorists, including SEVEN women, have carried out terrorist attack in the city. Two terrorists were still inside the Oberoi Hotel and commando operation was on. The anti-terror squad led by its chief Hemant Karkare entered Oberoi, while the RAF commandos were in action at the Taj. "Gunmen wanted anyone with British or American passport," said an eye-witness at the Taj said. Karkare, who was conducting investigation into the activities of Hindu terrorists, was later killed in encounter inside the hotel, officials said. Two terrorists were killed at Chaupatti in Mumbai, police said. Deccan Mujahideen reported claimed responsibility for the attack. Terrorists hijacked white police jeep near Metro cinema in South Mumbai. Firing was also reported near Maharashtra state assembly building in South Mumbai. Armed with AK-47 rifles and grenades, a couple of terrorists entered the passenger hall of CST and opened fire and threw grenades, Mumbai General Railway Police Commissioner A K Sharma said. The terror strike which began at 10:33 PM at CST, formerly known as the Victoria Terminus(VT), claimed 10 lives in the premises of the station alone, police said. Three persons were killed in a bomb explosion in a taxi on Mazegaon dockyard road and an equal number were gunned down at Taj Hotel. The victims in the hotel were its employees. The lobby of the Oberoi hotel was on fire and the hotel evacuated, eyewitnesses said. Maharashtra DGP A N Roy said the attack in "at least eight places" is a "terror strike." Sharma said 30 persons were injured in the CST incident. Commandos were rushed to the CST which wore a deserted look and train services suspended. Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh described the situation in Mumbai as "very serious". Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned terror attacks in Mumbai and assured Maharashtra government of all assistance. The NSG commandos were on standby and national disaster response force unit is being rushed to Mumbai, the Ministry of Home Affairs officials said. Some people were injured in the firing in Oberoi hotel, and taken to a nearby hospital in police vans and ambulance. Firing was also reported in Taj hotel. Firing was reported at Colaba, Nariman Point and near Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminal, formerly Victoria Terminus and it was still continuing. Firing was also reported at Cama Hospital in South Mumbai, police said, adding that a blast was reported in a taxi under a flyover in suburban Vile Parle. A bomb went off in a taxi in Mazegaon dockyard road. SRPF personnel then entered the iconic BMC building - just opposite CST - to take aim at the assailants, BMC commissioner Jairaj Phatak said. "We fear some of the assailants are still inside the station and we want to catch them if they come out," a police official said. Vikhroli police station senior inspector Habib Ansari was on his way to work from his Colaba home when he saw two armed men, with sophisticated weaponry, trying to run into bylanes near the Gateway of India. "I rushed back to Colaba and all policemen, including GRP and RPF personnel, were called up," he added. Bhisham Mansukhani, a journalist, was attending a wedding reception at the Taj's Crystal Room. "I was inside the bar when glass shards almost hit my eye," he said. "More than 200 people were escorted inside Chambers, a business centre inside the hotel," he added. Maharashtra state police chief AN Roy told the NDTV channel that "unknown terrorists" had opened fire at "about seven to eight places" across the city. "Some of these terrorists are still holed up inside the Taj hotel," said Roy. Meanwhile, Railway authorities stopped trains going to CST in view of the firing incidents. Extra forces were also rushed to the station. This is the first time that a terror strike of this scale, using firing to supplement blasts, have been mounted on a major Indian city outside of Occupied Kashmir. An alert was sounded across West Bengal, including the eastern metropolis in the wake of terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Checking at entry points in the metropolis have been intensified and additional forces posted in vulnerable areas as a precautionary measure, city Police Commissioner Gautam Mohan Chakraborty told a news agency. Security was stepped up in Delhi in the wake of terror attacks. "Police personnel have been put on alert and have been asked to keep a strict vigil," a senior police officer said. The police officer said that all precautions have been taken to prevent any untoward incident in the city and asked the people not to panic.