MOHMAND AGENCY -  Security forces repulsed a suicide attack on Mohmand Rifles FC Headquarters in Ghalanai on Wednesday.

Four suicide bombers were killed, while two security persons also lost their lives during the incident. At least 14 security officials were injured during the attack.

Jamaat-ur-Ahrar claimed responsibility for the attack.

An eyewitness told The Nation that he heard the sound of firing early morning at about 6:20am at Mohmand Rifles Camp. He said there were four suicide attackers who entered Mohmand Rifles Headquarters, and they wanted to enter the two mosques in the area.

At the time some 400 new recruits were said to be offering their morning prayers at the main mosque at the headquarters. There are at least 500 new recruits undergoing training at the FC Headquarters.

An official said three suicide bombers , reported to be between 28 to 30 years, tried to enter one of the mosques and the officers’ mess.

"Wearing suicide jackets they opened fire and tried to rush inside the mosque. They were taken on and contained in the outer courtyard of the mosque," the military said in a statement.

Two of the attackers were shot dead and two detonated their explosive vests, preventing a "huge disaster", the army added.

"Two Frontier Corps soldiers also embraced shahadat (martyrdom) and 14 others were wounded," it said.

Another eyewitness said that he was preparing for morning prayers when firing started and after five minutes he heard a loud sound of a blast. He said the firing continued for 50 minutes and he heard three blasts in total.

A security source said the FC Quick Response Force (QRF) timely responded to the suicide attack and retaliated effectively, killing two attackers while two blew themselves up, while two FC personnel Umar Hayat and Sepoy Asif Jan were also martyred.

According to the official, 14 security men got injured out of which four were airlifted to the CMH Peshawar, while 10 others were later discharged from Mohmand Rifles Hospital.

After the incident security forces conducted search operation in Ghalanai and adjoining areas, and curfew was imposed in the area. The main Peshawar-Bajaur Road was also closed for general traffic.

A splinter group of the Pakistani Taliban, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan Jamaat-ur-Ahrar (TTP-JA), claimed responsibility for the attack on Ghalani Camp in Mohmand Agency that is part of the lawless Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) bordering Afghanistan.

A spokesman for TTP-JA, Ehsanullah Ehsan, said the group carried out the raid in an effort to set free fellow militants from custody of the security forces.

Later in the day, passing out parade was also held at Mohmand Rifles Headquarters where Northern Sector Commander Brig Muhammad Amir Kiyani, Commandant Mohmand Rifles Col Asif Iqbal attend the function. At least 480 new recruits completed the six-month training.

Addressing the occasion Brig Kiyani said the terrorists wanted to target this particular function of the passing out parade at the camp. He hailed the brave action taken by Mohmand Rifles personnel that repulsed the attack killing all the four attackers.

Law and order situation in the Mohmand tribal region has worsened in the recent past. Some 77 IEDs blasts have been recorded, of which 42 had been recorded in Safi Tehsil alone.

A government primary school was also attacked in Safi Tehsil the other day.

Meanwhile, Army Chief Gen Raheel Sharif and Governor Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Iqbal Zafar Jhagra have lauded the security forces for foiling the suicide attack.

 Corps Commander Gen Hidayatur Rehman and IG FC Mazhar Shaheen later visited the headquarters.