PESHAWAR - The NWFP was rent asunder with lethal suicide bomber attacks in Bannu and Peshawar Saturday morning, killing 22 persons and injuring 135. While the suicide bomber struck a busy commercial centre in Peshawar, in Bannu the target was a police station. The attacks raised serious issues of security lapses and the danger of the Taliban regrouping beyond Swat. The Peshawar car blast, in front of Askari Bank near Cantonment Plaza on Fakhar-e- Alam Road, claimed at least nine persons lives and more than 50 injured; while the Bannu blast left as many as 12 persons dead and 85 others injured. The Peshawar police sources said that it was not confirmed whether the blast was caused by a suicide bomber or it was planted in a car parked outside cantonment Plaza. While the bomb disposal squad said that they had recovered two legs of the suicide bomber from the blast scene, however eyewitness said that the explosives were planted in an Alto car, which was parked adjacent to Askari Bank. The intensity of the blast could be judged by the fact that a severed human leg was found near Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Peshawar. The electricity was also disconnected in cantonment area as six transformers near the blast side were badly damaged and caught fire. Beside the electricity transformers, around 40 vehicles parked near the Askari Bank were also badly damaged while the windowpanes of all the commercial buildings were smashed. Soon after the incident, the rescuers rushed towards the blast site and contributed in the rescue activities. The injured persons were shifted to Lady Reading hospital and CMH, Peshawar. Most of the injured are stated to be in a critical condition. Police and officers of the secret agencies also rushed to the blast site and cordoned off the area. An official of the bomb disposal squad, Shafqat Malik, said that the attack was probably a suicide bomber, as they have recovered two legs from the car in which the explosives were planted. He said that around 100 KG of explosives were used in the attack, and informed that a hand grenade was also hurled before the attack. Chief capital city police Liaqat Khan said that the blast was the result of a security lapse as there was no intelligence information regarding the entry of the explosive pack vehicle. He also confirmed that it was a suicide bomb blast and two suspected persons have also been nabbed from the blast site. It is worth mentioned here that here that the blast was third of its kind which occurred in front of Cantonment Plaza on Fahri Alam road as two year back in March 2007 a bomb planted in a car was exploded in the same area which resulted 25 casualties. In Bannu, according to police, a suicide bomber rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into Mandan Police Station building.The building of the police station was completely shattered as the mini-truck carrying huge quantity of explosives hit its main gate causing ear-splitting blast. Almost 200-kg explosives were reportedly used that caused a 10-foot deep crater on the site of the blast. The blast took place at around 7:20am. Initially, 12 people including six policemen, a detained person, four civilians and the bomber himself lost their lives in this deadly suicide attack, while 85 others including an SHO sustained severe injuries. 27 of the injured are stated to be policemen. The number of casualties could increase. The Mandan police station is situated about 8 kilometers away from Bannu city. The sound of the explosion was heard within a 20-mile radius. The police station building was badly damaged in the deadly attack. Besides the police quarters, a mosque and about two dozen other houses and shops in adjacent area were completely damaged. At the time of the attack about 30 policemen were reportedly inside police station. Soon after the incident police cordoned off the area and started search operation while the injured persons were shifted to hospital and condition of several victims was stated to be critical. President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani have strongly condemned both the attacks. In separate messages, the two leaders expressed the governments resolve not to bow down to the terrorists. President Zardari, in a message from New York, said Pakistan would continue to be the frontline state in the global war against terror and incidents like these could not deter it from fighting the extremists and terrorists. Prime Minister Gilani ordered an enquiry into the incident and directed that best possible treatment be provided to the injured. Meanwhile, the NWFP Governor Owais Ahmed Ghani, Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti, Provincial Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain and Senior Minister Bashir Ahmad Bilour have vehemently condemned the blasts calling them cowardly acts of extremists. In their separate statements, they strongly condemned the suicide attack on Mandan police station in Bannu and said that the attacks on innocent citizens and policemen could not shake their resolve. Meanwhile, Qari Hussain, a Taliban commander who trains suicide bombers, took the responsibility for the attack through a telephone call. NWFP Chief Minister Ameer Haidar Khan Hoti termed the attacks cowardly and inhuman acts. He directed an immediate probe into the incidents and the utilisation of all resources for the arrest of the perpetrators. He announced Rs 300,000 and Rs 100,000 for the deceased and the injured respectively and assured that the law enforcement agencies would leave no stone unturned for the arrest of those involved in the incidents. He prayed for the deceased and expressed solidarity with members of the bereaved families. He also directed best treatment facilities for the injured. The Chief Minister said the terrorists after being defeated in Malakand division were now doing such coward acts, which aimed at creating chaos in society by taking the lives of innocent people, adding that they didnt deserve to be called human beings and Muslims. He appealed to the public to remain patient and cooperate with the law enforcement agencies to eliminate terror. He also vowed to render any sort of sacrifice in the fight against terrorists. NWFP Senior Minister Bashir Ahmad Bilour condemned the blast and termed it a reaction of the military successes against militants in three different areas of the NWFP and FATA, but vowed not to bow down before the militants. He declared that the battle would continue till the elimination of the last militant. NWFP Information minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain also condemned the blasts and said that now the terrorists want to avenge their defeat in the ongoing military operation; but he said that they would not be allowed to regroup again and the world must join hands to defeat the militants forever.