The Ahl-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat staged a massive protest demonstration at Fawara Chowk on Friday against the killing of Mufti Amanullah, the cleric of Darul Aloom Taleem ul Quran.

The protestors led by DATQ chief cleric Maulana Ashraf Ali and other Ulema and seminary students, were carrying placards and banners and were chanting slogans against the government and law enforcement agencies for their failure to protect the Ulema and their family members. The protestors also demanded of the government to make concrete efforts to nab the killers involved in murder of Mufti Amanullah, the son of DATQ chief cleric Maulana Ashraf Ali.

According to details, a large number of seminary students and Ulema gathered at Fawara Chowk after offering Friday prayer. Addressing the protestors, Maulana Ashraf Ali condemned the killing of his son and demanded of police and government to round up the killers.

He said that the government and its law enforcement agencies have badly failed in protecting the lives and properties of the citizens. He said if the government had punished the culprits involved in DATQ bloodshed as per law, the killing of Amman would have been averted. He said that the government should arrest the target killers immediately. “We hardly refraining our activists from reacting over the sad demise of Mufti Amman. But how long can we bar them? The government should act sensibly or else the government will be responsible if anything happens wrong,” he added.

Hitting the government and interior minister very hard, he said why they had not nabbed the culprits about whom they opened their lips inside the parliament.

Ashraf said that he and his son Mufti Amman received threatening letters from some unknown quarters. He also leashed out at Regional Police Officer (RPO) Umar Akhter Hayyat Lalyka saying, “The RPO had not materialised his promises of abolishing cases registered against DATQ in police stations.”

He said that he knew the killers of his son. He asked Chief Minister Punjab Mian Shahbaz Sharif to order police to arrest the killers; otherwise, the situation would get out of control in the city.

Mufti Amman Ullah along with his student returning to seminary from Chakri Road on a motorcycle when they came under heavy gunfire opened by unknown killers riding near WAPDA Office. As a result Mufti died while his student sustained multiple bullet injuries.

Tight security arrangements were made by police under the supervision of SP Rawal Division Karamat Ullah Malik on the occasion.