RAWALPINDI  -  Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was transported to Accountability Court from Adiala Jail amid tight security Monday.

A large number of policemen and other law enforcement agencies personnel have been deployed on both sides of the Adiala Road and the route leading to accountability court to protect the convoy of former premier.

Despite deployment of traffic wardens by Chief Traffic Officer (CTO) Muhammad Bin Ashraf, a gigantic traffic jam was witnessed on the Adiala Road at the time when the deposed premier was transported from the jail to federal capital in an armoured personnel carrier (APC) and then bringing him back to the jail after hearing of corruption references. The commuters, business community and the pedestrians faced troubles due to traffic congestion.

Police, following instructions of City Police Officer (CPO) Abbas Ahsan, also barred media from coverage outside Adiala Jail and did not allow any journalist or DSNG pass through a special picket set-up some two kilometres away from the jail.

Journalists’ bodies protested against this step of CPO and demanded Chief Minister Punjab Usman Ahmed Khan Buzdar and Inspector General of Police (IGP) Punjab Dr Syed Kalim Imam to hold inquiry into the incident besides taking action against CPO Abbas Ahsan for refraining journalists from imparting their duties.

Later on, CPO Abbas Ahsan in a tweet said: “Facilitating journalists in their news coverage will always be the cornerstone of our media policy”. Another police spokesman stated that no ban was imposed on media coverage while the CPO had ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident.

On the other hand, Ramna police have arrested a suspect for trying to enter the accountability court from a nearby jungle and shifted him to Police Station Ramna for further investigation. Police also recovered a mega-phone from the possession of suspect. According to police, the suspect was planning to shout slogans against the government and National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for detaining Mian Nawaz Sharif, Maryam Nawaz Sharif and Capt (Retd) Muhammad Safdar. A journalist of a private TV channel also thrashed a worker of PML-N outside accountability court for chanting anti-state slogans. The police intervened and soothed both men.

On the other hand, deposed PM Mian Nawaz Sharif has reportedly been provided the facility of telephone in Adiala Jail. According to media reports, the deposed prime minister would be allowed to talk to his family members for twenty minutes in a week through a public call office set up in his compound in the jail. Superintendent Adiala Jail Saeed Ullah Gondal was not available for his comments.