KABUL (AFP) - A bomb attack killed a US service member in Afghanistan, Nato said Sunday, doubling the number of American soldiers killed in the country this year compared with 2008, according to an AFP tally. The arrival in Afghanistan of tens of thousands of reinforcements to fight the Taliban will lead to a higher death rate among foreign troops, adding pressure on Western leaders to get out altogether, officials say. The Nato-run International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said the soldier died from an improvised explosive device (IED), the biggest killer of foreign troops in the eight-year battle to contain a Taliban insurgency. An ISAF service member from the United States died following an IED strike in southern Afghanistan Saturday, the force said in a statement. The death takes this years international military casualties in Afghanistan to 506, according to an AFP tally based on independent website icasualties.org which tracks military deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq. Of those deaths, 310 have been Americans, according to the AFP tally. That figure compares with a total of 155 Americans given by icasualties for 2008. This year has already proved the deadliest so far in the battle against the Taliban-led insurgency which followed the 2001 US-led invasion to oust the militias extremist regime in Kabul. The total number of foreign troops killed in Afghanistan in 2008 was 295. An influx of extra troops this year has escalated battles in the southern provinces of Kandahar and Helmand, the Taliban heartland, as has the number of deaths of both foreign troops and the Afghan forces they are leading. The insurgents have supplemented battlefield tactics with roadside bombs, which have taken an enormous toll. Experts say deaths will escalate further with the arrival of reinforcements - 30,000 from the US and 6,800 from NATO allies - over the course of 2010. Taliban fighting for the overthrow of the Kabul government promised to turn Afghanistan into a flaming tandoor oven, escalating attacks and deploying more fighters to match the Western surge. Western military chiefs warn more troops will inevitably lead to more deaths as they try to help Afghan security forces take on the fight alone. The Taliban leadership has matched the fighting words by promising a surge of its own. With the coming of new forces the fight will be further extended and increased, said Zabihullah Mujahid, a purported Taliban spokesman, who spoke to AFP by telephone from an undisclosed location. Taliban would attack the foreign forces as well as their Afghan allies through suicide attacks, roadside bombs and face-to-face clashes, he said. They will transform Afghanistan into a flaming tandoor oven for the foreign forces. Americas economic woes could limit resources for forces fighting a Taliban with access to funds from the three-billion-dollar-a-year Afghan opium industry and fighters from Pakistan, said political analyst Ahmed Sayedi. On top of the drugs money, he said, people in Middle Eastern and Arab countries are providing funding for the Taliban, and neighbouring countries Pakistan and Iran are arming them. The Taliban have huge support networks, while the 30,000 US soldiers coming to Afghanistan will be victims of the challenge to get funding through the Senate, he said. Washingtons Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Admiral Mike Mullen warned during a visit to Kabul this month the violence will get worse before getting better as the Taliban dominate at least a third of the country. I told our troops heading here to steel themselves for more combat and more casualties, he said.