LONDON - Nine men arrested last week after several months of surveillance and monitoring by British police and M-I5 officer charged with planning a pre-Christmas terror attack on significant targets in the UK were remanded in police custody on Monday The suspects appeared in London City of Westminster Magistrates Court in three groups after they were arrested in a series of dawn raids last week. Among the men were Gurukanth Desai, 28, Omar Sharif Latif, 26, Abdul Malik Miah, 24, from Cardiff, Muhammad Moksudur Rahman Choudhry, 20, Shah Muhammad Lutfar Rahman, 28, from London. Nazam Hussain, 25, Usman Khan, 19, Mohibur Rahman, 26, and Abul Bosher Muhammad Shahjahan, 26, all from Stoke-on-Trent, were also remanded in custody. They will next appear at the Londons Old Bailey on January 14. The nine men are accused of conspiring to cause an explosion or explosions in the UK 'of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious injury to property between October 1 and November 20 this year. Sky News reported that the charges amount to a pre-Christmas attack on significant British targets. The suspects are also charged with engaging in conduct in preparation for acts of terrorism between October 1 and December 20. The allegations include downloading and researching materials and methods, carrying out reconnaissance and agreeing potential targets, and igniting and testing incendiary material. A total of 12 men were arrested during the raids by unarmed officers on December 20. Three of them, two from Cardiff and one from London, have been released without charge, West Midlands police said. Sue Hemming, the head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) counter-terrorism division, said: 'lawyers from the CPS counter-terrorism division have been working with the police on this case from an early stage and were on hand to give advice while the men were interviewed.