MUMBAI (Reuters/AFP) - A special Indian court on Monday found three people guilty of planning serial blasts in the financial hub of Mumbai in 2003 which were blamed on the Pakistan-based group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). Auto-rickshaw driver Haneef Sayyed, 46, his wife Fahmeeda, 43, and 32-year-old Ashrat Ansari were convicted of plotting with LeT two coordinated blasts in Mumbai in August 2003 that killed more than 50 people and injured more than 200. According to police, the blasts - at the Gateway of India monument and in the Zaveri Bazaar gold and jewellery quarter - were in retaliation for Hindu atrocities against Muslims during riots in Gujarat state in 2002. The three, who now face the death penalty, were said to be members of the so-called Gujarat Muslim Revenge Force. Today the LeT has suffered a big setback, as the special court in Mumbai has found all three accused guilty, Ujjwal Nikam, the public prosecutor told reporters. Nikam said the 2003 blasts, plotted in Dubai, happened after an earlier attempt by the LeT group to target Mumbai in an attack on a bus that killed two people. Their (the defendants) handlers were not happy with the intensity of the blast so they used RDX (explosive) in August 2003 and exploded a major bomb, the lawyer added. At least 2,000 Muslims were hacked, beaten, shot or burnt to death in the 2002 attacks in Gujarat, which erupted after 59 Hindu pilgrims died in a train fire which was at first blamed on a Muslim mob. A subsequent inquiry concluded the fire was accidental. Both the Mumbai bombs were hidden in the boots of taxis and exploded within minutes of each other at lunchtime on August 25, 2003. Two other men accused of providing and assembling the high-explosive RDX devices used in the attacks were previously acquitted by the court.