QUETTA - Jamhoori Watan Party leader shahzain Bugti along with his 26 guards surrendered to police on Saturday after the court issued non-bailable arrest warrant over illegal arms’ possession.
Police arrested shahzain from his residence at Bugti Street on Al-Gailani Road. Backed by paramilitary forces, local police surrounded the area.
Earlier, shahzain refused to budge. But, he surrendered after Balochistan Home Minister Zafrullah Zehri and DIG (Operations) Qazi Abdul Wahid visited him and showed him the warrant.
The provincial minister took shahzain to District Central Jail in his vehicle amid a large number of supporters were chanting slogans in his favour.
Talking to the media, shahzain said he was not scared of arrest, but he had been implicated in a fabricated case.
Party leader shahzain Bugti said to honour the judiciary, they surrendered as the Supreme Court had cancelled their bail.
Though the Federal Interior Minister has offered dialogue to the self-exiled leader, the Baloch leadership in Pakistan is being arrested, shahzain regretted. However, he said he would make an appeal for his bail.
shahzain alleged the government agencies abducted his lawyer Mukesh Kholi to weaken his case.
“The murderers of Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti are roaming freely.”
He said though arrest warrant for former provincial home minister Shohib Nosharwani was issued but he was escorted to cast his vote.
Home Minister Zehri told the media that shahzain did not present any demand and he was arrested following the court orders.
On Friday, a court issued non-bailable arrest warrant for shahzain Bugti and his 26 associates over illegal arms possession.
December 22, 2010, shahzain and his 26 guards were arrested when the Frontier Corps recovered weapons from his convoy near Balali checkpost in Quetta. They were released after the Balochistan High Court accepted their bail.
On April 3, a Supreme Court bench, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry set aside the BHC order, cancelling his bail.