PESHAWAR The hostage drama ended Saturday, as three to four terrorists surrendered while the two detained hostages were freed after operation. Earlier, suspected militants overpowered their guards when they were being shifted from one building to another for interrogation purpose Saturday morning and took two of the guards as hostage. However, they had to surrender to the security forces apparently after their attempt to escape was foiled. They are now security forces custody. According to details, the militants, Saturday morning, snatched weapons from one of the guards escorting them and held them hostage at gunpoint in the cantonment area. In order to ensure safe release of the guards, an operation was conducted during which exchange of fire was also reported and after a successful operation the hostages were released, while the detained militants surrendered to the forces. Talking to media persons, Chief of capital city police Liaqat Ali Khan said the terrorists present in a government building near the US Consulate in Cantt area have surrendered before the law-enforcement agencies. The three detained terrorists were being shifted from one building to another, when the terrorists attacked the two escorting guards, overpowered them and held them hostage at gunpoint. The CCPO said one of the guards sustained minor wounds. But no loss of life occurred during the operation. He said that the situation in Peshawar Cantt was under control. The incident occurred in the area, where the US Consulate is also located. Liaqat Ali Khan said that apparently it was a failed attempt by the militants to escape from the custody, but security personnel had foiled it. He avoided giving the details of the militants. However, he said that prompt action for recovery of the sentries was avoided as the building was located closed to residential area. Almost 9-hour long hostage and siege led to closure of all roads towards cantonment area, and forces cordoned of f the area, while security forces rushed to the spot as the incident occurred at around 6 am and continued till 4.30pm. Shakeel Ahmad Khalil adds: Following the operation against the terrorists, the security forces besieged the whole cantonment area and all the roads were blocked in the busiest area of the Provincial Capital. The cantonment area again witnessed a disturbed morning when the news of the presence of terrorists and opening fire on security men was spread like wildfire in the wee hours Saturday. The roads leading to Peshawar Cantt were blocked from all sides due to the gun battle with the alleged militants and heavy contingent of police were deployed on these link roads. In the first move, the main Khyber Road leading towards the University of Peshawar, passing through main troubled area, was blocked with police mobiles, parked in the middle of the road and the traffic was diverted to Warsak Road. The other main roads leading towards the cantonment was the old Bara Road, which was blocked near Swato Pathak. Security personnel deployed there told TheNation that we have very strict orders in this regard and even pedestrians are also not allowed to use that road. We have even not allowed security officials who were going to the CMH. he told. Near the Swato Patak, a small road leading towards main cantt bazaar was almost jam-packed by the traffic coming from both sides. Traveling from one place to another through public transport which also pass on the cantt area also faced hardships in travelling. Peoples whose offices were inside the Cantt area like AG Office, Pakistan Telecommunication Authority Office, main branch of National Bank of Pakistan, Public Service Commissions Office, State Life Building and many more were seen running from one road to another to reach their offices but all such moves failed due to the strict security measures on the roads. Many were seen engaged with the officials but all in vain. One of the police officer said, All these measures had been taken for the safety of the people and to thwart any untoward incident. The police officer appealed to the peoples to cooperate with them and stay away from the security checkpoints.