ANTANANARIVO (AFP) - Madagascar President Marc Ravalomanana accused his main rival on Wednesday of stoking political unrest in the capital Antananarivo that has claimed at least 34 lives. The President was forced to rush back home on Sunday and miss a regional summit in South Africa as he sought to quell his biggest threat and Madagascar's worst political unrest since his 2006 re-election. He said he had opted not to call in the Army as that would only have led to further bloodshed. "It was me who ordered the army not to intervene. The situation must be properly managed otherwise it would have been a bloodbath." Ravalomanana, 59, who first came to power after disputed elections in 2001, has called for national unity and talks with his younger rival. But Mayor Andry Rajoelina, who called for the protests that turned violent Monday, planned a fresh gathering for this weekend at a city park where he also held a huge rally last Saturday. He demanded that the government punish those behind the shooting of one of his supporters during the demonstrations. The teenager was shot in the head by guards in front of Ravalomanana's private TV station MBS, which along with the state radio building had been besieged by an angry mob. "Tomorrow, in a sign of solidarity with the family and as we wait for the government's response, we will make Antananarivo a dead city. No school, work and shops will be shut. "But on Saturday, we will all be here at Place du 13 mai," he added, referring to the city plaza. The anti-government demonstrations turned violent as mobs looted and set fire to the state radio building and ransacked Ravalomanana's private TV station. The 34-year-old mayor, who portrays Ravalomanana as a dictator, had announced a temporary suspension of the protests on Tuesday. His deputy Andriamahazo Nirhy-Lanto said: "We stopped yesterday to honour those who died in the demonstrations as well as to ensure that there is order." On Tuesday firefighters found 25 charred bodies in the rubble of a shopping centre ravaged by fire. Six more bodies were discovered at a warehouse owned by Ravalomanana, while two protestors were killed. A prisoner was also killed and ten others wounded Tuesday when security forces fired on inmates who tried to break out of a prison in the capital. Ravalomanana, himself a former Antananarivo mayor, laid the blame squarely on Rajoelina. "It was him, the leader, the initiator of these disturbances," Ravalomanana told AFP as he visited the state radio building. "The priority for me now is to restore all that was destroyed."