QUETTA - An official of Afghan consulate has gone missing in Quetta city of Balochistan province, police said on Sunday.

Muhammad Hashim, a resident of Satellite town, went missing on July 24 after he left for his office at around eight in the morning. Police said he worked in the passport section. Hashim’s family sensed something was amiss as they lodged an FIR. His son, Muhammad Siddique, said they were concerned about his disappearance.

Meanwhile, a man killed his wife and her paramour in Jaffarabad district. Abdul Hameed first shot and injured his spouse, Sadjida, in Gott Roshan Ali Jamali area of Usta Muhammad district and later killed Muhammad Ramzan, and fled the crime scene. Police said it was an incident of honour killing, adding that raids were being conducted to arrest the killer.

In another incident, unidentified miscreants torched a container of a private company in Dasht area of Mastung district, some 35 kilometers away from Quetta.

Levies sources said unidentified gunmen opened fire and then torched the container which was heading towards Quetta from Karachi. The container was completely destroyed. However no loss of life was reported in the attack.

Separately, militants fired two rockets in Chattak area of Panjgour district near Iran border. The rockets landed in a desolated area near Rakshan nullah. No loss of life was reported, luckily.

Railway track blown up in Quetta: Militants exploded the railway track connecting Quetta with rest of the country, temporarily suspending rail service here on Sunday. According to police, heavy explosives planted by militants on the railway track near Moosa Colony in Sariab locality went off with a huge blast, damaging a portion of the track.  No loss of life was reported in the blast. However, train service between Balochistan and other parts of the country remained suspended following the explosion.

Soon after the blast, teams of police and Frontier Corps reached the blast site and cordoned off the area. Pakistan Railways repaired the damaged track within three hours, restoring the train service.

Police suspected Baloch militants are behind the blast and said investigation is underway in this connection. However, no group has claimed responsibility of the blast so far.