LAHORE At least 10 terrorists equipped with sophisticated weapons stormed two leading worship places of Ahmadis in Model Town and Garhi Shahu areas here in the provincial metropolis after Friday prayers killing 80 people and injuring about 200 others. Security sources said that it was the first major attack on Ahmadis in Lahore with such large-scale casualties. One terrorist was captured unhurt during the successful operation carried out in Model Town as he failed to blow himself up. Intelligence sources said that the 30-year-old terrorist was shifted to some unknown location. All the other attackers either blew themselves up or were shot dead by the police. The terrorists carried out the gun-and-bomb attacks seconds before the start of the prayers. At least four to six terrorists hit Baitul Zikr, the worship place of Ahmadis at Allama Iqbal Road in Garhi Shahu area, near Lahore Railway Station. In Model Town, four gunmen opened fire on security and police guards, then on worshippers. At least 19 people were killed before police managed to regain control, DCO Lahore Sajjad Bhutta told reporters at the scene. In Garhi Shahu, the terrorists besieged the worship place, taking hundreds of people hostage. A four-hour clash ensued as police exchanged gunfire with fighters stationed inside and on the rooftop. The gunmen took the worshippers hostage, making it difficult for the police as the well-trained personnel of Quick Response Force (QRF) tried to rescue them, eyewitness said. The terrorists took control of the worship places and hurled hand grenades as police engaged in a fierce gunfight with them. The death toll could rise as several injured were under intensive care in the emergency wards of the public hospitals. The doctors are also conducting surgery of those critically wounded during the attacks, hospital sources said. The police also recovered suicide jackets, rifles and other ammunition from both the worship places. Lahore chief of Tehreek-e-Ahmadia Pakistan and retired Sessions Judge Sheikh Munir, Lt-Gen (r) Nasir and a cameraman of a local TV channel identified as Ejazul Haq were also among the dead. A joint team of investigators is interrogating the captured terrorist, the sources said. No group has yet claimed the responsibility of the brazen attacks. These were coordinated and interlinked attacks, sources in the security agencies said. However, some TV channels reported that an unknown group, Tehrik-i-Taliban Punjab, had claimed the responsibility. An eyewitness, 13-year old Zafar Ahmed, said that about five hours after the attacks began, the police took control of the Baitul Zikr in Garhi Shahu and found bodies strewn across the floor. We all lay down on the ground when the gunfire took place. Someone locked our room from inside and then there was firing and blasts. I am lucky that I survived, Zafar Ahmed who remained trapped for five hours inside the Garhi Shahu worship place told The Nation. They were firing directly at the worshippers. They also threw hand grenades on us, Mubashir Ahmed, an injured said. Ambulances were seen racing towards hospitals to shift the injured soon after the police entered the worship place and took control. Police investigators said that the suicide vests-laden attackers were armed with AK-47 rifles, shotguns, grenades and possibly rocket-launcher. The terrorists also fired a rocket from Baitul Zikr in Garhi Shahu that hit a nearby two-storey building. Several vehicles were also damaged while some passers-by also sustained bullet wounds. Eyewitnesses said that of the attackers managed to reach atop a minaret in Garhi Shahu worship place and started firing and throwing grenades on the policemen during the shootout. The attackers tortured and killed the guard outside the worship place and then went inside, Ahmed Khan, an eyewitness said. Three gunmen exploded their suicide vests inside the worship place, killing dozens of worshippers during the standoff, SSP (Investigations) Zulifqar Hameed told TheNation at the crime scene. At least four policemen including two officers also sustained bullet wounds and were rushed to a nearby hospital. Hundreds of policemen, elite force officials and newly trained Quick Response Force personnel cordoned off the area and launched the counter operation. After the explosions and gunfire ended, at least 55 worshippers were found dead from the Garhi Shahu worship place, police and rescue workers said. Dozens of ambulances reached the spot and shifted the injured to the various public hospitals. The injured were shifted to Mayo Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore General Hospital, Services Hospital, Jinnah Hospital and Sheikh Zayed Hospital. All the leading public hospitals were put on alert and a state of emergency was also declared. Top police officers and district administration officials reached the spot and supervised the rescue operations. The Fridays sieges were identical to the gun-and-bomb attacks that were carried out against the police and security agencies headquarters in the City last year. Further investigations were underway till filing of this report. The terrorist arrested unhurt from Model Town has been identified as Abdullah, said to be a resident of Rahimyar Khan. Police sources revealed that the suspect got training from North Waziristan, however, he got religious education from a madrassa in Karachi, the sources added. The sources further revealed that the mastermind of the attacks had sent two attackers to Model Town worship place of Ahmadis and three to Garhi Shahu to carry out the deadly attacks. Abdullah was wearing suicide vest when he barged into the Model Town worship place and held the worshippers hostage and opened indiscriminate fire. In the meantime, some worshippers overpowered him. He tried to blow himself up but failed to carry out the blast. The worshippers tied his bands and feet with a rope and later handed him over to the security agencies.