KARACHI - The Sindh government has framed a policy for allotment of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Housing Cell flats at Landhi Railway Station, Karachi. In first phase, houses/flats would be allotted to the families of victims who were martyred in October 18, 2007 bomb blast in the caravan of Benazir Bhutto during her arrival from self-exile. In second phase, the houses would be provided to the families of December 27, 2007 victims when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated. This decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah at the CM Secretariat on Monday. The meeting was attended among others by Sindh Housing Minister Agha Taimoor Khan, Sindh Chief Secretary Raja Muhammad Abbas, Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Housing Cell Chairman Mazhar Abbas, Sindh Finance Secretary Naveed Kamran Baloch, Sindh Law Secretary Ghulam Nabi Shah, Secretary (GA) SGA&C Department Waseem Ahmed, Secretary to Sindh CM Agha Jan Akhtar and others.Speaking on the occasion, he said there were two separate components of programme ie, provision of houses/flats to those workers who sacrificed their lives during blasts of October 18, 2007 in Karachi and December 27, 2007 in Rawalpindi. As per second programme, the provincial government had decided to construct 10,000 houses in rural areas for poor and shelterless people. He said that all cases were decided on merit. The meeting reviewed the progress of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Housing cell in detail. It was informed that there were 358 flats at S.B.B Housing Cell flats at Landhi, out of which 155 flats were handed-over to families of martyrs. It was further informed that 120 families, after completion of formalities, have obtained possession letters while 35 families are in process of finalising the requirements of documents.The meeting was informed that the Sindh Government had purchased 488 flats from the Pakistan Housing Authority and possession of 120 flats was taken over by the SGA&CD, while the SBB Housing Cell took over the possession of 368 flats. It was decided that the SGA&CD will now take over the possession of 130 flats from Cell thus the SGA&CD will be responsible for 250 flats, which will be utilized for government officers/staff residence. On a proposal given by the Minister Housing, it was decided that the open space within the premises of 368 flats, will be utilised for construction of block of more flats, for which a PC-I scheme will be prepared by the Works & Services department.Housing Cell chairman also gave an overall briefing about the project activities and said that as a part of construction of 10,000 houses in rural areas, so far 4,623 houses have been constructed, where poor people have been shifted to their new houses. The work on remaining 1,283 houses is in advance stage of completion and will be handed over to beneficiaries by July 2012. He added that the important aspect of the scheme is that the houses are being constructed on beneficiaries own land, and the families are involved in all construction process. Qaim further directed to accelerate the pace of work and by the end of December 2012, the target of construction of 10,000 houses should be achieved. Chairman BHC informed that the contractor for infrastructure development on Khairpur land has been selected under SPPRA Rules and the work will be started in the first week of June 2012, while the infrastructure work included wide roads, storm water drain, sewerage and water supply. The meeting was informed that according to Master Plan prepared for Khairpur scheme, 1530 residential plots and 188 commercial plots measuring 100 sq. yards have been proposed. Residential plots will be offered to the needy people while commercial plots will be auctioned, he added. Chief Minister Sindh directed that all 1530 residential plots should be allotted to the poor families free of cost.Qaim further directed that there is still need of construction of houses for flood affected families at a large scale especially for the poor people living in Badin, Umerkot, Sanghar, Khairpur, Shikarpur, Mirpurkhas and other districts. Minister Agriculture and Minister Housing was constituted which in consultation with the local representatives will furnish/finalise the list of affected families in each district. The CM further directed the SBBHC Chairman to take prompt measures for early launching of the project for flood/rain affected families, and according to plan, at least 10,000 more houses comprising of single room with verandah will be constructed for those affected families.