CONAKRY (Reuters/AFP) - Fifty-eight bodies were brought to a Conakry morgue on Monday after security forces in Guinea moved in against opposition demonstrators, a doctor told AFP on condition of anonymity. Guinean security forces killed at least 58 people when they fired live rounds to disperse thousands of protesters on Monday, a rights body said, worsening a political crisis in the worlds top bauxite exporter. Witnesses said several prominent opposition leaders were arrested and several protesters were injured in violence that began when thousands of people took to the streets and met in a stadium despite a massive security operation by the authorities. The violence follows months of wrangling between Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, Guineas military ruler who seized power in a 2008 coup, and his rivals. Camara has not ruled out standing in elections, angering opponents and foreign donors alike. For the moment we have 14 dead. The number does not include those who are at the hospital, we havent seen them yet, Thierno Maadjou Sow, president of the Guinean Human Rights Organisation, told Reuters. One witness who went to the Red Cross in Conakry said he had counted at least 20 people with bullet wounds. Other witnesses said a police station was torched and several police vehicles, equipment and at least on officer captured by crowds. The junta, known as the National Council for Democracy and Development, said it would not negotiate. Those who want to defy the authority of the state, we will stop them, the juntas Commandant Moussa Diegboro Camara said on local radio. Dadis Camara has yet to make a formal announcement but has told diplomats in private that he will be an election candidate. A coalition of opposition parties is leading the campaign against his candidacy and wanted to hold a meeting at the September 28 stadium. It was banned but thousands of people took to the streets and broke into the stadium anyway. Cellou Dalein Diallo, leader of the oppoosition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG), and several other politicians were arrested by the security forces. Camara seized power after President Lansana Conte died in December 2008. He enjoyed initial support from a population hungry for change after decades of Contes rule left the mineral-rich nation in disarray. However, increasingly erratic behaviour, including crackdowns on former backers in the military, attacks on mining companies the country is dependent on and the likelihood he will stand in a poll due in 2010, have fuelled instability. Mining firms such as UC RUSAL and Rio Tinto have not indicated they are ready to leave the country despite a series of disputes but officials say government revenues from mineral exports will fall dramatically next year, putting the budget under strain. Alioune Tine, president of pan-African rights group RADDHO, said the violence pointed to further trouble. If Camara maintains his desire to be president, we are heading to an open conflict in this country. ECOWAS and the international community must intervene immediately, he said. Foreign donors and West Africas regional body ECOWAS, have appealed to Camara not to stand for election. But diplomats say he is likely to do so anyway. Thousands of people gathered in the central town of Labe at the weekend, protesting against Camaras rule during a visit he made there. A heavy security presence ensured there were no incidents. Many Guineans rushed out on Sunday to stock up on provisions in case the protests continued. Some 130 people were killed during weeks of protests against Contes rule in 2007.