RAWALPINDI – The angry family members and relatives of a poor labourer, who was crushed to death by a bus while performing his cleanliness work at Pirwadhai Bus Terminal, blocked the I.J. Principal Road, set on fire the bus, broken the windowpanes of other vehicles and agitated in front of Police Station (PS) Pirwadhai placing the dead body on the road on Wednesday.

The violence erupted when the driver of a Diamond Coach Service’s bus (RIS-7) crushed to death a poor labourer, Muhammad Yousaf, son of Saeed Khan, 20, resident of Bangish Colony, while taking a speedy turn at Pirwadhai Bus Terminal. The deceased was cleaning the garbage from the bus stop.

However, after committing the crime, the driver managed to escape from the scene, whereas the area police registered a case against him.

Getting information about the death of their beloved son, the family members and relatives of the deceased gathered outside the Pirwadhai police station and staged a protest demonstration. They chanted slogans against the police and demanded of Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry to take a suo moto notice of the sadistic incident. Later, the protestors, numbering in hundreds holding bamboo sticks and iron rods, marched towards IJP Road and blocked it for vehicular movements by torching tyres and other flammable stuff. The enraged protestors also blazed the bus involved in the crime.

The very angry protestors also pelted the public and private transport with stones and sticks breaking their windowpanes.

Mess of such a huge number of people triggered a massive traffic gridlock on IJP Road blocking traffic on its linking roads and causing immense troubles for road users.

Later, a heavy contingent of police arrived and cleared the road for traffic. The police along with Rescue 1122 transported the dead body to DHQ for autopsy.

According to reports, police high-ups of Pirwadhai circles negotiated with the protestors ensuring them that they would not only register a case against the bus driver but also arrest him as soon as possible.

Later, the police registered a murder case against the bus driver with no arrest so far. Despite several attempts, Station House Officer (SHO) Raja Rasheed did not pick up his cell phone for his comments on the issue.