Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday that he regrets the deaths of 35 civilians in a military airstrike in a Kurdish area on the border with Iraq. Speaking to reporters in Istanbul, he said, "It is an unfortunate outcome. It is a sad outcome." Pledging a full investigation, he said those killed late Wednesday were smuggling cigarettes and fuel, with almost half of them below the age of 20. Erdogan said Turkey's military had been monitoring the area because it was in constant use by terrorist groups and that security forces had become suspicious because of the size of the group and number of donkeys used. The funerals of the victims, who all came from three villages in the Uludere area of Sirnak province, should now have been conducted, he said.