KARACHI  - At least four people including three Rangers men were killed and 11 others injured in a string of blasts that took place in different areas of Nazimabad here on Wednesday.
The first two back-to-back attacks at Rangers checkpost killed a Rangers official and wounded six others near Board Office intersection.  Following the first blast, rescuers, security personnel and spectators were gathered on the spot when another low intensity blast ripped through the same area. As a result, seven people including the Rangers personnel were wounded who were taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital.
Later, Rangers Lance Naik Atiqur Rehman succumbed to injuries while other four wounded Rangers personnel Shafiq, Nadeem, Fahim, Nisar, one policeman, Saifullah and a Chippa volunteer Zameer were admitted for treatment.
SSP Central Amir Farooqi said the IEDs were installed in the cement blocks that exploded within a span of 10 minutes.
He said the first blast targeted the Rangers mobile while the second bomb was exploded when people gathered on the spot to rescue the victims of the first blast. Police investigators believed the IEDs were exploded with the help of mobile phones where Ranger snap checking is a matter of routine. The blast wounded the rangers personnel and also the rescuers of welfare organisations reaching the spot to rescue the victims.
The Bomb Disposal Squad also reached the spot while law enforcers cordoned off the area when another blast occurred.
The third blast was reportedly carried out by a suicide bomber at Sachal Rangers Headquarters in Nazimabad area which left three people dead and five others injured.
Rangers claimed that the suicide bomber attempted to enter the Rangers Headquarters when personnel deployed on the main gate intercepted the bomber and he exploded himself. “The Rangers personnel who spotted and intercepted the suicide bomber will be awarded with the highest Rangers gallantry award,” he added.
The suicide attacker claimed the lives of two Rangers personnel Sub Inspector Javed and Sepoy Umair and a passerby Gulbahar Channa.
It is worth mentioning here the headquarters is situated within the premises of a school. The passerby was a security guard at the office of Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) situated within the same premises of the headquarters.
Investigators have collected the body parts of the bomber and sent them to forensic laboratory for identification. The BDS experts pointed out that both the low intensity bombs have had carried 700 grams of explosives with pellets while the suicide jacket carried some five kilogrammes of explosives. Police claimed to have arrested two suspects from the crime scene and shifted them to undisclosed location for interrogation. The cases of triple blasts have yet to be registered till this report was filed.
According to a private TV channel, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has claimed responsibility for the bombings. A TTP spokesman said the attacks were in response to Rangers operation against their fighters.