KARACHI - A key worker of Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s organisational structure was arrested in a raid conducted in Garden locality here on Friday.

Minhaj Qazi, senior most party activist who is considered a think-tank within the party structure remains off the scene since the last Rangers raid at MQM headquarter on March 11, 2015, was arrested in a raid conducted by the paramilitary troops in Garden locality.

Sources privy to the matter revealed that during the raid at MQM headquarters, Qazi was present at Khursheed Begum Secretariat from where he managed to flee. Since that day, Qazi was off the scene. Security agencies went after him and carried out several raids across the city for his arrest. Senior party activist wished to be anonymous said Qazi managed to deal all major party affairs and is considered one of the key party covert personalities.

It is believed that Qazi’s arrest would be a major breakthrough during the whole Karachi operation. Rangers have yet to disclose his arrest.

Meanwhile, MQM coordination committee has condemned his arrest and demanded the government and authorities concerned to provide justice to the party worker’s family. In a statement, the committee alleged that paramilitary force conducted an ‘illegal’ raid at Minhaj Qazi’s residence in Garden area. They are not disclosing his whereabouts. Minhaj’s arrest should be disclosed and provided with legal and constitutional rights, it added. MQM committee further demanded Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Sindh chief minister, governor, COAS and DG Rangers Sindh to take notice of Qazi arrest.

Meanwhile, some unknown militants threw low intensity bombs on the Rangers and police posts separately. No one was injured in both the attacks. Militants first targeted the Rangers check post located near Matric Board Office Bridge in Nazimabad. They threw a bomb at the check post before fleeing. Rangers personnel, inside the check post, were safe in the incident.

Following the attack, extra contingent of law enforcers including Rangers and police reached the site and cordoned off the locality to collect evidences. Police officials said armed assailants threw a bottle bomb from the bridge and escaped after committing the crime.

Experts from the bomb disposal squad were also called to the site. According to the bomb disposal squad experts, the home-made bomb, weighing 250 grams of explosives, was placed in a bottle. The same check post of Rangers had also come under attack multiple times in the past. Last week, a similar attack was also occurred when armed motorcyclists threw a hand bomb at the police mobile stationed under the bridge, at the same place. Later, two armed suspects riding a motorcycle threw a locally-made hand cracker at the Liaquatabad’s Super Market. Luckily, no person was hurt in the incident while the suspects fled from the scene. Though the reason behind the attack could not be ascertained yet, however, the police officials suspected that the cops could be the target of the culprits as the police mobile was stationed near the blast site. Cases of both the attacks have been registered.