ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court on Monday disposed of a suo moto notice case after Rawalpindi police had arrested Imtiaz Khokhar alias Taji Khokhar in connection with the killing of a 50-year-old woman over a land dispute last August.

A three-judge SC bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry disposed of the application filed by Raja Yaqoob, the husband of the deceased Sabira Bibi, after Acting City Police Officer Rawalpindi Israr Ahmed Abbasi stated that Taji was arrested on July 26 and had been in police custody for three days.

Disposing of the case, the Chief Justice noted that the concerned court of law should proceed in accordance with the law and asked the police to complete investigation in the earliest possible time.

Taji, the younger brother of Haji Nawaz Khokhar, a former deputy speaker National Assembly, was arrested after his two sons and their guards were accused of killing Sabira Bibi as she had a land dispute with them in Dhoke Gangal along the Islamabad Highway in the jurisdiction of Airport Police.

“The purpose of the suo moto has been served. My client Taji Khokhar had been arrested. The matter cannot be proceeded further,” said advocate Zahid Bukhari.

The lawyer was responding to the arguments of advocate Ghufran Khursheed Imtiazi representing the complainant that police had tried to hush up the matter and earlier declared Taji an innocent saying there was no evidence against him and his two sons.

Responding to the comments of Zahid Bukhari, Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed, a member of the bench, said that he had got a wrong impression. The bench never had anything personal against anyone and the court only directs the law enforcers to follow the law and the rules.

The chief justice further directed CPO Abbasi to provide police protection to Aysha Yaqoob, daughter of the deceased, that her family had been receiving threats after Farrukh and Umer both sons of Taji were released on bail in the case.

It was on August 17 2012 Sabira was shot injured as a one-man judicial commission advocate Saimul Haq Satti along with both parties was present at the disputed plot that had allegedly been forcefully occupied by the Khokhars.

Later, she succumbed to her injuries at the hospital leading to registration of murder case against Taji, his sons and his gunmen.

On July 25, the police arrested Aziz Aslam Niazi, ex-SHO Airport Police, for allegedly tampering with the case file and giving clean-chit to Taji Khokhar.

Earlier, Taji Khokhar remained outside Pakistan in Dubai for medical treatment but returned in June. He got interim pre-arrest bail from an anti-terrorism court. The accused however withdrew his bail plea after SHO Niazi exonerated him and his sons from the charges of shooting Sabira.