GAZA CITY (AFP) - South African Nobel Peace laureate Desmond Tutu on Thursday denounced what he called the international community's silence and complicity over the situation in the besieged Gaza Strip. "My message to the international community is that our silence and complicity, especially on the situation in Gaza, shames us all," Tutu said at the end of a three-day UN fact-finding mission to the impoverished Palestinian territory. "Gaza needs the engagement of the outside world, especially its peacemakers," the Anglican archbishop said at a news conference. "I think what we've seen shows plenty of evidence of at least the possibility of war crimes that needs much further independent investigation," said British professor Christine Chinkin, who travelled to Gaza with Tutu. "I would certainly say the concept of collective punishment in a situation of occupation constitutes the notion of war crimes and possibly of a crime against humanity," she said in reference to the Israeli-imposed embargo. Tutu and Chinkin were in Gaza on a UN fact-finding mission into the killing of 19 Palestinian civilians in a 2006 Israeli artillery attack. Following an internal investigation, Israel concluded that shelling the civilians' homes was "a rare and grave technical error of the artillery radar system," and announced in February that no charges would be brought against Israeli forces involved in the incident. Dozens of Palestinians were captured before dawn on Thursday in an Israeli military incursion in the northern Gaza Strip, witnesses said. Israeli troops used loudspeakers to order residents of the Beit Hanun area aged 16 to 60 to gather in a square, and then took away about 60 of them, according to Muhammad al-Kafarneh, who said he witnessed the incident. The Palestinian Ramattan news agency said one of its cameramen, Ashraf al-Kafarneh, was among those captured. Witnesses said armoured military bulldozers destroyed farmland during the incursion. Meanwhile, a 29-year-old Palestinian civilian died of his wounds on Thursday, one day after he was hit by Israeli gunfire in southern Gaza, the head of Gaza emergency services said.