KHOST, Afghanistan (AFP) - Attacks in Afghanistan killed five people including an election candidate, while gunmen kidnapped a Turkish engineer, officials said Friday. The candidate, who was running for a provincial council seat, is the first to be killed in the run-up to August polls. At least two others have been reportedly abducted, although one was released soon afterwards. Shir Mohammad was killed late Thursday by a bomb magnetically fixed to his car in the eastern province of Khost, said provincial government spokesman Khochai Nasiri. Around 3,324 candidates are competing for 34 provincial councils, which will be elected at the same time as the countrys president. Concerns about security for the polls, particularly the threat posed by Taliban insurgents, has seen Afghanistans Western allies pledge thousands more troops to secure the vote. In the town of Khost, gunmen also abducted a Turkish engineer Thursday as he was travelling to work, provincial police chief Abdul Qayoum Baqizoi told AFP. It was not known who captured him or why, the official said. While militants have carried out dozens of kidnappings, other groups, including professional gangs, have also abducted people for ransom. Separately, in an attack claimed by the Taliban, a convoy ferrying logistics to foreign troops was halted in the southern province of Zabul on Friday. Ten of the vehicles were burned and four drivers killed, provincial police chief Abdur Rahman Sarjang told AFP. The US military reported earlier that troops killed 35 militants in Zabul early Thursday. Afghanistan is gripped by an insurgency led by the Taliban, who were in government between 1996 and 2001. Thousands of mostly US troops are based here to help the authorities fight the extremists.