BANNU/MIRANSHAH - At least six soldiers were killed and another four wounded in separate incidents of roadside bomb blasts in the Federally-Administered Tribal Areas (Fata) on Thursday.
In the first incident, three soldiers died when two improvised explosive devices (IED) exploded in North Waziristan.
Security forces rushed to the scene after the blast and shifted the injured to a nearby hospital.
“A patrolling team was inspecting the Bannu-Miransah Road to build a military checkpost when they stepped on an improvised explosive device (IED),” a senior security official said.
He said the incident occurred around 16 miles east of Miranshah. “It’s a standard operating procedure that a patrolling team on foot inspects the area before setting up a temporary checkpoint,” he said.
“Two soldiers embraced martyrdom and three were injured early in morning in two IED blasts planted by terrorists on roadside near Nosher Fort, bordering North Waziristan,” a statement said. Another issued a short time later added one of the wounded subsequently died.
Forces, later, cordoned off the area and started a search operation. No militant group claimed responsibility for the incidents. In the second incident, three soldiers lost their lives and two others sustained injuries when a vehicle of the security forces ran over a landmine in Bannu region. The injured were taken to a local hospital for medical assistance.
The deceased were identified as Nasir Ali, Jaffar Khan and Muzaffar while the injured were identified as Qaiser Abdullah and Sifarish. Since the TTP rose up against the Pakistani state in 2007, more than 6,800 people have been killed in bomb and gun attacks around Pakistan, according to a tally.
At least four people including one Levies Force personnel were killed and another sustained injuries when unidentified gunmen launched attack on Shekhan Tribe in Lower Tehsil of Orakzai Agency on Thursday.
Local sources said the incident took place in Lalpura area of the Lower Tehsil of Orakzai Agency at 4:45 am, when people of Shekhan Tribe were coming back after offering a funeral prayer. The firing by unidentified people from the nearby mountains resulted in killing of four men including a Levies Force man and injuring another.
The men killed were identified as Safdar Ali, Gul Ali, Murad Hussain and Levies personnel Shahnawaz Ali while Khalil was injured and shifted to Agency Headquarters Hospital Orakzai.  Soon after the incident, political administration launched a search operation and arrested 12 suspects from the surrounding areas.
The locals strongly condemned the incident and demanded of the government to arrest the attackers immediately.