RAWALPINDI - Peshawar Commissioner Sahibzada Muhammad Anees who was burnt allegedly in a gas explosion on Saturday expired in a private hospital here on late Monday night.

Sahibzada Anees who received critical burn injuries in an explosion occurred in an apartment in Islamabad on Saturday was taken to Burn Centre of Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) on Sunday afternoon. However, the doctors referred him to Quaid-e-Azam International Hospital at Golra Morre where he was kept in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). The commissioner also suffered a heart attack on Monday and the doctors stated his condition to be critical.

A doctor, who cured the commissioner, said that he had sustained over 90 percent burn injuries and his relatives brought here to avoid infection as in such cases a patient died of infection.

On the other hand, sources claimed the explosion which injured Anees and a woman might have a targeted attack on the commissioner’s life. While, Islamabad police termed it an “accidental explosion caused by gas leakage”.

Police said it had found no evidence of any explosive at the site. The police also publicly ruled out an assassination attempt.

Anees was a resident of Mansehra Shikiari. His father Sahibzada Muhammad Ilyas was a senator during the Zia era. He started his career as a magistrate in Abbottabad in 1987 after passing Public Service Commission examination and served on various key positions during his 26-year career in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and tribal areas.

He was Hazara division commissioner when Usama bin Laden was hunted by the US Navy Sales in a pre-dawn attack on a compound in Bilal Town (now known as Usama Town).

Earlier, he served as assistant political agent, Landi Kotal and Bajaur, commissioner Hangu, Hazara, Peshawar and Kohat, political agent, Orakzai Agency and Afghan refugees’ commissioner.

He also served as secretary law and order and as district coordination officer, Peshawar. He left behind a widow, three daughters and a son.

In August, Anees overturned the 33-year jail sentence of Dr Shakeel Afridi, a Pakistani doctor who helped the US to track down Usama bin Laden. A source revealed that Anees was also receiving threats from the militants while his uncle was also killed by militants in Islamabad.