KABUL/JALALABAD (AFP/Reuters) Seven US troops were killed in two Taliban-style bomb attacks Monday in southern Afghanistan, the area hardest hit by the insurgency nearing the end of its ninth and most deadly year, NATO told AFP. One attack killed five soldiers, NATOs International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said in a statement. With the latest deaths, 478 foreign soldiers, including 315 Americans, have been killed in the Afghan war so far this year, according to a tally based on that kept by the icasualties.org website. Seven US soldiers were killed in a wave of attacks at the weekend. A total of 2,046 foreign troops have died in the conflict, 1,262 of them Americans. A car bomb killed a district chief in eastern Afghanistan on Monday as he entered a provincial headquarters, but the governor escaped unhurt, officials said. Five people were also hurt in the blast The attack in the heart of Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province, happened during the morning rush hour as the chief of Lal Pur, a district of the province, drove into the provincial governors compound. Nangarhar governor Gul Agha Sherzai, target of several attacks by the Taliban in the past, was inside the compound when the attack happened but was unharmed, his spokesman said. It looks like the explosives were placed inside the district chiefs car. We are still investigating. The district chief was killed and four others were wounded, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai said. Earlier, an army official said the attack had been carried out by a suicide bomber. Flames could be seen rising from the site of the blast and security forces had cordoned off several roads leading to the area in the city, which lies near the border with Pakistan. The interior ministry condemned the killing of Pahlawan as an un-Islamic and inhumane act by insurgents. It said five other people were wounded in the blast. Officials in southern Zabul province, neighbouring Kandahar, said 24 insurgents, including two Taliban commanders, were captured in a joint Afghan-coalition operation Sunday while trying to cross into Pakistan. ISAF said Monday it was investigating reports that one of its convoys had been hit in a bombing in Kandahar province. An AFP reporter at the scene on the Kandahar-Herat highway said one of the ISAF armoured vehicles was on fire. Separately, Afghan intelligence agency the National Directorate of Security (NDS) said it had seized a large amount of military equipment including arms and munitions from a private security firm. It said the materiel was being illegally transferred by a private security company from Kabul city to the airport and then to unknown destination. The NDS statement named the security firm as Blue Hackle, a member of the British Association of Private Security Companies. The weapons were provided to this company by arm smugglers, it said, adding that they had been confiscated amid an investigation.