ISLAMABAD - Islamabad police have arrested the alleged killers of an IESCO official who was killed after he attempted to sever an electricity connection here at DHA Phase-II, said the police sources yesterday.

According to local police, IESCO Assistant Lineman Mahboob Ahmad was shot dead by one Raja Zahid and his cousin Minhaj in DHA as he attempted to cut electricity connection of the accused over non-payment. Later, the accused threw the dead body of the victim near Gujjar Khan. Sihala police arrested the accused and upon their lead, they recovered the dead body. The dead body was shifted to Polyclinic for autopsy yesterday. Furthermore, the IESCO employees also staged a protest demonstration against the murder in front of the police station.

Murder accused remanded

for 10 more days

Israr Ahmed from Rawalpindi adds: An anti-terrorism court yesterday extended physical remand of four accused for 10 days in murder case of Shoaib Iqbal Raja, the nephew of former Punjab Law Minister Raja Muhammad Basharat.

The murder accused were shifted to police station under tight security for further interrogation. The accused included a local PML-N leader Asad Mahmood, his father Jan Nisar alias Saleem Numberdar, Adil Rehman and Raja Umer Mazhar Abbasi.

Earlier, Sardar Muhammad Ishaq Advocate appeared before the court on behalf of the accused and opposed the request for granting more physical remand. He said that the police had already obtained 20 days physical remand and that period was enough for interrogation. He said that it was not a case of terrorism. He added that it was a case of murder and the ATC should not grant further remand.

Advocate Malik Waheed Anjum, the prosecution, said that under the anti-terrorism laws, the investigation officers could obtain remand up to 90 days. He said the accused created terror and fear when they opened fire outside a busy polling station on the election day in Hayyal village on December 5.

He noted that the Punjab government had banned display of arms by candidates and their supporters. The accused, however, did not take the law seriously and killed a young man using firearms.

After hearing the arguments from both sides, the court granted physical remand of the accused for 10 more days.

Meanwhile, Saddar Bairooni police obtained eight days physical remand of another accused on December 29. Police had arrested Mubashar Fiaz, first cousin of accused Asad Mahmood and obtained his physical remand.

Shoaib Iqbal Raja was allegedly killed by one Ikhlaq Numberdar, the brother of Asad Mehmood, on December 5 outside a polling station in Hayyal village.