RAWALPINDI/QUETTA - A trial court on Tuesday fixed the sixth of next month, August, for framing charges against former military ruler Pervez Musharraf in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case.

Besides Musharraf, copies of the charge sheet have been handed to Saud Aziz and Khurram Shehzad, former city police officer and former superintendent of police, respectively, and five other accused kept in Adyala Jail.

The court however de-freezed Musharraf’s bank accounts and property and set aside the plea Federal Investigation Agency had filed for their seizure.

Anti-terrorism judge Chaudhry Habibur Rehman issued orders for Musharraf’s presence on next Tuesday’s hearing to formally frame charges against him in the high-profile murder case.

The former president was brought under stringent security checks after the judge warned on the last hearing that the trial would be barred if Musharraf did not obey the court orders.

The court accepted the application for restoring the assets and accounts of former president that were ordered to be frozen after he had been declared a proclaimed offender. The judge noted Musharraf had not received the summons declaring him a proclaimed offender in the assassination case.

Counsel for Musharraf, Ilyas Siddiqui, meanwhile told the court the former president had been detained at his Chak Shehzad farmhouse which had been declared a sub-jail due to threats to his life. He requested his client's assets and bank accounts be restored.

Opposing the arguments of defense, FIA prosecutor Chaudhry Azhar Ali prayed the assets and accounts not be restored.

After completion of arguments, the judge restored Musharraf’s banks accounts and property, and ordered him to appear before the court on August 6.

Earlier, the former military ruler was brought to ATC from Islamabad under tight security. Roads leading to the court dotted with commandoes and police officials and were barricaded to avert any untoward incident.

Talking to newsmen on court premise, FIA prosecutor Azhar Ali said the court would try Musharraf and other accused by August 6 regularly.

It may be noted here that Saud Aziz and Khurram Shehzad have been on bail.

Meanwhile, Balochistan High Court rejected the bail application of former president Pervez Musharraf in Akbhar Bugti’s murder case while a special anti-terrorism court once again issued his production order, directing the police to produce before the court on next hearing.

On the complaint of a son of the late Akbhar Bugti, Jamil Bugti, and on the order of Balochistan High Court, a case was registered against Pervez Musharraf, former prime minister Shaukat Aziz, former federal interior minister Aftab Sherpao, ex-Balochistan interior minister Mir Shoaib Nosherwani, former Balochistan governor Owias Ahmed Ghani and former Dera Bugti DCO Abdus Samad Lasi. All the accused were nominated in the murder case of Bugti.

ATC Quetta1 rejected Pervez Musharraf’s pre-arrest bail application and issued production order after which he moved the high court. The court reserved the judgment on the last hearing.

A division bench of Balochistan High Court, comprising Justice Ghulam Mustafa Mengal and Justice Naheem Akbhar Afghan, on Tuesday rejected the bail application of Pervez Musharraf, while announcing short judgment.

On the other hand, Special ATC Quetta-1 also heard the case on Tuesday. Judge Muhammad Ismail Baloch, during the hearing, expressed resentment over former provincial interior minister Shoaib Nosherwani’s absence from the court and non-arrest of Musharraf.

The judge remarked that despite clear orders of the court the main accused of the case was not being produced though arrest warrants for him had been issued.

Expressing resentment over non-arrest of Pervez Musharraf, the court once again issued arrest warrants for Musharraf, directing the police to produce him before the court on August 19.