FAISALABAD-The son and daughter of a District Food Quality Control Committee member and chairman UC-134, fainted and were admitted to Allied Hospital after eating an unhygienic burger from a local shop here the other day.

According to police, Arsalan Bukhari, a third-year student, bought two burgers from Ghulam Muhammadabad Bazaar. However, he and his sister Muskan fainted after eating the burger. They were shifted to Ghulam Muhammadabad General Hospital from where the doctors referred them to Allied Hospital. The police registered a case against the shopkeeper and started investigation.

Residents of the area said that the incident depicts the authorities' indifference to their duty as the sale of hygienic food is common in Faisalabad and its surroundings despite the tall claims of District Food Quality Control Committee and task forces formed by district administration. "Food-poisoning cases are common nowadays in Faisalabad and surroundings," they said, adding that the officials also have admitted while marking International Hepatitis Day that Faisalabad has become most dangerous city in Punjab as the city has largest number of hepatitis patients. Citizens and social figures on the other hand, demand the govt to make a comprehensive strategy to check food quality and beverages being sold in the city.