KAN BANGLA (Agencies) - Rescuers on Thursday struggled to deliver aid to villagers in remote parts of Balochistan after a powerful earthquake destroyed thousands of homes and killed at least 215 people. The 6.4-magnitude pre-dawn quake on Wednesday flattened mud-brick houses and triggered landslides in the impoverished province of Balochistan, killing or injuring their occupants as they slept. But international and Pakistani agencies were struggling to get help to survivors who spent a freezing night in the open, with rescuers discovering more victims as they reached remote villages that had still not seen any aid. Destitute survivors sat beside campfires or huddled together as day broke over the mountainous quake zone. "We are doomed," said Mohammed Hashim, from Wam, the worst affected of eight villages that were hit hard by the quake. "We have nothing left to save our families from the cold in the night." Army Major General Tariq Rasheed Khan, supervising the relief and rescue operation, said about 50,000 of the 100,000 people in the region around the historic hill town of Ziarat had been made homeless or badly hit by the quake. "We are distributing 9,500 blankets, 2,000 tents and 5,600 warm jackets," he told reporters in Kawas, near Wam. But he added: "The requirement is much more than that. It is in fact less than 50 percent of the total requirement." Relief was coming in slowly, mainly because key roads had been damaged, said Amjad Rashid, head of the Taraqi (development) Foundation, a local non-governmental organisation. "People are not satisfied. They are demanding more and more. They say the relief operation should be expedited," Rashid said. Yet in the far-flung village of Killi Baio Khan, the village chieftain made a desperate appeal for supplies. "The urgent need is warm clothes, blankets, tents and food," said Haji Baio Khan. "The military have set up their camps and are providing food but that is not enough." An AFP correspondent in Wam said emergency tents had not arrived by Thursday morning, forcing exhausted villagers to hunker down in the ruined shells of their homes. They spent the previous day in a desperate search for loved ones or burying the dead in mass graves, as aftershocks nearly as big as the initial quake pounded the landscape, sending rocks spewing from nearby peaks and sparking fresh panic. Virtually all houses were reduced to rubble either in the initial quake or by aftershocks. Schools and hospitals were also damaged. Four of the tremours were strong, two were severe and two were moderate, he added. Director General Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) Qamar-uz-Zaman Chaudhry said aftershocks would likely to continue in quake-hit areas of Balochistan during next week with a gradual decrease in the magnitude. Khan said earlier that he had been told that at least 215 people died in the quake. The 6.4-magnitude tremor struck before dawn Wednesday north of the provincial capital, Quetta. Most of the victims were in outlying villages, whose mud-brick houses were flattened as they slept. The district health officer of the historic hill town of Ziarat, Ayub Kakar, told AFP the toll was already at more than 300. "In 18 major villages in the affected region we found more than 220 people died while 80 other people who were critically injured and taken to various hospitals died, either on their way or on reaching the hospital," he said. "There are many tiny villages located in remote hilly areas which health officials have not yet been able to survey. We are trying to reach those areas after which we fear the death toll may rise further," the officer said. Meanwhile, relief operations by Pakistan Army, Frontier Corps, Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), Balochistan Police, UN, district government and other NGOs are in full swing in quake-affected areas of Balochistan. Some 1,000 troops of the FC Balochistan are involved in rescue and relief operations, which are being supervised by the DIG Brigadier Sikandar. Bari Baloch from Quetta adds: The death toll from a powerful earthquake that rocked Balochistan could climb above 300, civic officials said Thursday, as more than 250 aftershocks hit the affected region while relief and rescue operation is underway in the quake-hit areas of the province. So far 240 people have been killed and about 500 hundred people have been wounded due to sever jolts. However, official sources confirmed only 155 deaths and 347 wounded while more than 15000 people have become homeless. Many public and private organisations were busy in helping the earthquake victims in the most hit areas including District Ziarat, Pishin, Qilla Abdullah and the outskirts of Quetta, where large number of houses collapsed. Pakistan Army, the Frontier Corps, Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), Balochistan Police, United Nations, the district government and other NGOs are taking parts in relief operation of quake-affected areas. The Frontier Corps (FC) has set up a medical centre in Kawas where dozens of paramedics are engaged in medical treatment of the affected people. Moreover, the FC dispatched some 230 tents, 600 blankets and a huge quantity of medicines. Besides, the PDMA also dispatched the relief consignments comprising 2, 500 blankets, one thousand tents, 200 each 50kg bags of sugar and rice and other edible items to the quake-hit areas which are being distributed among the victims. An FC field hospital is also functioning in worst-hit Kawas union council of Ziarat district were 25 doctors and 100 paramedical staff are rendering service. However, according to reports reaching from Ziarat and Pishin, there are many affected areas where government rescue workers had not reached till late night which multiplied the miseries of affected people who are waiting for the government relief. Talking to media, IG FC Major General Saleem Nawaz said that aid was being provided to quake victims at their doorstep and priorities for rescue activities had been established. More than 200 hundred injured from different areas of district Ziarat and Pishin have been shifted to Quetta in different hospitals including Civil Hospital Quetta and Bolan Medical Complex Hospital so far while emergency had already declared in all hospitals. Governor Balochistan Nawab Zulfiqar Ali Magsi visited the affected areas and said that relief was being provided to the affected people. However, he said that affected people needed more tents and blankets. He also visited the Ziarat hospital and various medical centers and enquired after the health of wounded. District officials including Nazim, DCO, DEO and other officials briefed the Governor about the relief operations. Later talking to media persons, the Governor said that he contacted President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gailani who assured full support to the provincial government in relief and rehabilitation operations. He added that loss of life and property is far more than assessment, adding that the relief operations must be stepped up in order to avoid human disaster. He appreciated the relief operations and appealed to the donor agencies to play role as the affectees were in dire need of blankets and food items. He said the provincial government had not much resources to provide more relief to the people and added that he had requested the federal government for immediate provision of relief to the affectees. Chief Minister Balochistan Nawab Aslam Raisani while addressing a press conference demanded of the international community to take part in rehabilitation of earthquake affectees. He said that those international organisation which were interested in taking part in connection with relief activities would not be restricted. The CM Balochistan said that tents, blankets, drinking water, medicines and other edible items had been sent to affected areas while medical camps were also set up at many areas in Ziarat and Pishin districts. He said that UAE, Kuwait, Iran, Germany, England and America had announced U$ 3,50000 for the affected people, adding that Chief Ministers of three provinces had also announced Rs 270 million. Central Secretary General of Pashtoon Khawa Milli Awami Party (PKMAP) Akram Shah while addressing a news conference alleged that earthquake affectees were not being given proper relief. He alleged despite lapse of several hours, no rescue worker from government side had been witnessed in affected areas. He said his party had established camps in different towns of Balochistan including Quetta and was making all-out efforts to provide relief to the affected people. He demanded of the government for immediate provision of tents and blankets to affected people.  Meanwhile, many relief camps have been established by different political parties in Quetta and other towns of Balochistan in order to collect donations and other items for affectees. "The death toll may be 300 or even more," Balochistan revenue minister Zamarak Khan said while talking to a foreign news agency. More than 250 aftershocks have shaken Pakistan since the devastating 6.4-magnitude earthquake that killed at least 215 people, seismologists said. "So far we have recorded 253 aftershocks", Saifullah Shami, from the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), said. Four of the tremors were strong, two were severe and two were moderate, he added. Director General Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) Qamar-uz-Zaman Chaudhry said aftershocks would likely to continue in quake-hit areas of Balochistan during next week with a gradual decrease in the magnitude. Talking to a private TV channel, he said that 44 significant aftershocks were recorded in the affected areas during the day time (Wednesday), which were of 4 to 5 magnitude on Richter scale. However, the magnitude of recent aftershocks was between 3 to 4, which he termed as a significant change. About weather conditions, he said cloudy weather would prevail in quake-hit areas including Ziarat, Pishin and Quetta in the next 24 hours with no chance of rain. The minimum temperature will remain between -1 to -4 degrees Celsius while maximum will be from 10 to 17 degrees in next three days, he informed. A shallow westerly trough is present in Balochistan, which may cause rise in freezing cold temperatures in quake-affected areas, he said. Quetta city will be sunny on Saturday with mercury inching up by one to two degrees with minimum temperature at 3 to 5 degrees. "We have reports that dozens of people died in villages after villages and the family members in most cases did not shift the bodies to hospitals, so there is no official record of these casualties," said Zamarak Khan. Khan said earlier that he had been told that at least 215 people died in the quake. The 6.4-magnitude tremor struck before dawn Wednesday north of the provincial capital, Quetta. Most of the victims were in outlying villages, whose mud-brick houses were flattened as they slept. The district health officer of the historic hill town of Ziarat, Ayub Kakar, said that the toll was already at more than 300. "In 18 major villages in the affected region we found more than 220 people died while 80 other people who were critically injured and taken to various hospitals died, either on their way or on reaching the hospital," he said. "There are many tiny villages located in remote hilly areas which health officials have not yet been able to survey. We are trying to reach those areas after which we fear the death toll may rise further," the officer said.