SARGODHA: Abdul Waheed, custodian of a Sufi shrine Ali Muhammad Gujjar Shrine in Chak-95 of Sargodha, has confessed to killing 20 of his devotees on late Saturday night, according to Deputy Commissioner Liaquat Ali Chatta.

According to Sargodha Deputy Commissioner Liaquat Ali Chatta, "Abdul Waheed and his accomplices first intoxicated the disciples then tortured them with machetes and batons, and killed them. He believes, Abdul Waheed suffers from a 'critical mental disorder'.

DSP Mianwali's son is also among those killed.

The custodian claimed that his victims underwent 'spiritual cleansing' after they were tortured.

Abdul Waheed's office card was found from his possession. He works for the Election Commission in Sargodha.

Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident.

The incident took place in the premises of Muhammad Ali Gujar Shrine, where the custodian drugged his disciples and then killed them with a club.

There were 15 men and 4 women, while 2 other women were seriously injured and had been shifted to the hospital, said the rescue officials. 

The woman reported the incident to the authorities after which heavy contingent of police rushed to the scene and arrested the suspects.

“3 suspects have been arrested from the venue. Drugs were recovered from the trustee’s room in the shrine,” said SP Sargodha, Bilal Iftikhar.

Doctors have found torture marks on the victims’ legs and back. They have said that the people were tortured in intoxicated condition.

After the tragedy, a large number of local people reached the Darbar and indulged in violence breaking whatever came their way. The police had to put in extra efforts to stop the enraged people.

Meanwhile, an Election Commission spokesperson has clarified that Abdul Waheed is not employee of the institutions.

“He retired one year ago,” the spokesperson told media. 

Meanwhile, three arrested people have pleaded guilty to the murders. They told police that people were asked to come to shrine through phone calls. “Whoever came, they were killed,” killers told police.

Sources claim the main issue was of the shrine’s seat.

Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident. He has formed a committee under the regional police officers.

The committee has been told to submit the report within 24 hours.

Moreover, the chief minister has ordered Punjab Auqaf and Religious Affairs Minister Zaeem Qadri to visit the site of the incident.