LAHORE - The Punjab government has declared an emergency in public sector hospitals in Lahore after a suicide attack on Sunday outside Parade Avenue at Wahga Border that killed 54 people and injured over 100.

Most of the dead bodies and injured were taken to the nearby Ghurki Trust Hospital, from where they were shifted to Shalamar Hospital and tertiary care hospitals in the city, majority of them to the Services Hospital and Mayo Hospital. “I could not hear anything except hue and cry of people after the blast. A number of women and children were killed and many received serious injuries. It was difficult to describe the scene as panic stricken people were running for safe places,” said Muhammad Munir, an injured getting treatment at Services Hospital. His two kids also got injured in the suicide attack.

“Those behind such attacks are the enemies of humanity and Pakistan. Innocent citizens including women and children who come to see flag lowering ceremony have been targeted”, he added. Ali Haider, another injured receiving treatment at Ghurki Hospital, said that he did not know what happened after the blast.

“I fell unconscious soon after the blast and as such could not tell anything”, he said. Kalsoom, who came to see flag-lowering ceremony from Saggian along with her family, said: “We were standing near ornament shop when big explosion occurred.” She added, “There was big hue and cry after the blast. When I gained my senses I was in the hospital.”. Rescue 1122, Edhi and Filah-e-Insaniat Foundation ambulances shifted dead bodies and injured to the Ghurki Trust Hospital.

Secretary Health Jawad Rafiq Malik and Director General Health Dr Zahid Pervaiz immediately reached the hospital to monitor the process of treatment and offered every kind of help to Medical Superintendent Dr Javed.

“50 dead bodies were brought to the Ghurki Hospital. The dead included 10 women, seven children and three Rangers jawans. Seriously injured patients have been referred to teaching hospitals. At present 35 injured are under treatment and they are being provided best medical facilities,” Dr Javed informed. MS Mayo Hospital Dr Amjad Shahzad said that so far 36 dead bodies have been brought to the hospital. He said that five seriously injured patients were under treatment.

“Four dead bodies have been brought to the hospital. At present 43 injured are under treatment”, said a doctor treating a patient at Emergency of Services Hospital. He said that many of the patients have been brought to the hospital in critical condition. “Emergency has been declared and we are treating patients in the best possible way. Everything has been done to ensure best treatment for the injured,” he added. At present, 11 patients are under treatment at Shalamar Hospital, eight at Lahore General Hospital, six at Farooq Hospital and one at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.