Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad, Chief of Awami Muslim League (AML), has challenged the postponement of general elections from Rawalpindi's constituency NA-60 in Lahore High Court's (LHC) Rawalpindi Bench on Monday.  

Earlier, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) decided to postpone polling the city’s NA-60 constituency after the special Anti-Narcotics Court's verdict against Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz's (PML-N) leader Hanif Abbasi. The Court sentenced Hanif Abbasi for life in the Ephedrine quota case on July 21. 

The ECP had postponed polling after the arrest and disqualification of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz’s (PML-N) Hanif Abbasi, Rasheed’s main opponent in Rawalpindi.

Sardar Abdul Razzaq, Rasheed's legal counsel, submitted the petition. It is maintained in the petition that election cannot be postponed due to the sentencing of a candidate.

Sheikh Rasheed stated in the petition that elections in the constituencies of PML-N’s Maryam Nawaz and Captain (retired) Safdar were not postponed when they sentenced in the Avenfield properties reference earlier this month.

The Election Commission and relevant returning officer has been named as respondents in the petition. 

Addressing party supporters in Rawalpindi's Liaquat Bagh Sunday night, Rasheed claimed that according to the Election Act 2017, polling cannot be postponed unless a candidate dies. 

Earlier, he had demanded that Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Saqib Nisar take notice of the postponement of election in NA-60.

"Hanif Abbasi was sentenced in a contraband smuggling case," he told supporters, claiming that the ECP took an unconstitutional step to delay the polls, labelling the move a conspiracy.

Other than NA-60, Rasheed is contesting the July 25 general election from Rawalpindi's NA-62 constituency as well. 

The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, being Rasheed's ally, has not fielded candidates in any of Rasheed's constituencies. 

A special anti-narcotics court sentenced Abbasi to life in the Ephedrine quota case late Saturday, just four days before the general election in the country. The PML-N leader was taken into custody from the courtroom soon after the judge announced the verdict.