PESHAWAR - Terror prevailed in Peshawar on the third day of the tragic incident of suicide attack on a church while tough security arrangement have been made around all churches to foil further sabotage bid. 

An atmosphere of gloom, grief and tension continued to exist in Peshawar city on Tuesday, the third day of the gruesome church blast, which killed 83 people and injured more than 100.

The 19th century old church, where the twin suicide blasts took place, was so far not reopened after cleaning bloodstains from its walls. Children’s shoes and books littered the courtyard were also removed.

According to spokesman of the Lady Reading Hospital Peshawar, 55 injured persons are taking treatment in the hospital.

Among them three are being treated in Bolton block, two in Cardiovascular Ward, six in male orthopedic B ward, eight in Female orthopedic ward, 15 in Male Surgical (B) ward, four in female surgical B-ward while 10 in PAED Surgery ward.

Despite cleaning of the area, the smell of blood still lingers. A large number of Christians were present inside the church screaming with tears while desperation clearly visible on the faces of the impoverished segment of the society.

Not only kids have been left orphaned but many newly married girls have also become widowed due to this tragic incident. Among them a Primary School Headmaster Naim Nazir accompanied by his wife, two young daughters, a brother and a nephew had gone to the church for offering prayers but none survived in the blast.

Government School teacher Naveed Shirazi along with his daughter and two sons also perished just after attending the Sunday service while former councillor Joseph, frantically searching for his grandson after the first blast also got killed in the following one.

Sensing gravity of the situation, police made adequate arrangements to avert any untoward incident and placed barbed wire on main roads in an attempt to confine the protesters to their localities.

Police remained fully alert around the church in Kohati Gate where community people offered prayers for the dead and for early recovery of the injured.

All missionary schools remained closed in the wake of three days mourning.

Police registered a case against unidentified terrorists. A four-member committee has been set up to investigate the suicide attacks.

City Circle SP Ismail Kharak said police were investigating the incident from different angles and trying to get clues, which could lead to the facilitators of the bombers in the city. Special investigation teams have been constituted who are busy round-the-clock to reach any final conclusion.

Protests were also held in other parts of the province, including Malakand Agency, Nowshera, Dera Ismail Khan and Karak. The protesters demanded an end to terrorist attacks on minorities.

Bishop of Lahore Irfan Jamil and other leader of Christian community also visited Lady Reading Hospital where they inquired after the health of injured persons and prayed for departed souls.